Cat Dander Allergies - Old-Time Tips For Dander Control

Allergies Medication

Cat dander allergies can be a dilemma for those that love cats but also have an allergy to cats. Pet dander allergies seem to be a growing problem, or at least there is more awareness of this problem than before. Through my aunt I came to know about some old-time practices that make good sense.

Allergies Medication

A basic rule we know today is that the best way to reduce cat dander allergies is to reduce cats dander. That is always the best approach. The practices I learnt from my aunt reflect this same principle, if co-incidentally.

Allergies Medication

My Aunt Derryth

Allergies Medication

I remember my Scottish aunt Derryth (dare-ith). She was my favorite aunt because she always had time to speak with me (not at me) and she loved animals, just like me. She had five cats which she obviously loved. Only now do I realize that she must have had a cat dander allergy. She took precautions that make good logic today but which were considered extra-ordinary back when I was a boy. This is what I remember:

1) She always use to wipe down her cats with a damp cloth as they came into her cottage, "teu keeep oo'te ta sneezen, lade" she would say. The cats would actually stand near the doorway awaiting their turn to be wiped down. Perhaps they liked the scent of the cloth, maybe they liked the attention she lavished upon them, or maybe they waited for a treat. I don't really know. I think she used a special scent on the cloth that the cats may have loved; or perhaps she gave them catnip as a treat. I do not know. But the cats would wait. It was amazing.

Wiping down cats as they come into the house (or as soon as you can catch them) is a good way to control a cats dander as well as other allergens that so often collect in cat fur. Very few people do this but it is a good old-time practice.

2) Aunt Derryth groomed her cats weekly, by combing and brushing their fur. This was always done on an outside table in her backyard, under a covered area. The grooming took place in the open air, rain or shine. She had a special coat she would wear only for grooming the cats. She kept the coat in her tool shed and it was never brought into the house.

This makes perfect sense. Cats need to be groomed regularly and in a careful, gentle but quick manner. They can become very fidgety after about 15-20 minutes, so working efficiently is important, especially with long-hair cats.

Grooming removes a considerable amount of cat fur and dander, as well as removing mats. Grooming outside is sensible as the dander will not be in the house. Wearing a special smack or coat is also sensible as the dander will be on the coat, which you do not bring into the house.

3) My aunt Derryth's cats also got a weekly bath. I don't recall seeing this done so I can't tell you if the cats waited around for this as well. Somehow I doubt it. Cats hated of baths borders on the frantic. However, I am sure she was gentle, loving and patient as she always was with her cats.

Regular bathing is good practice that will go a long way in controlling cat dander allergies. You can use a kitty shampoo and a conditioner. Other products are now available for increased dander control, if needed.

My aunt certainly had a special touch when it came to her cats. I fondly remember visiting her when I was a wee lad. As I have said, I believe she must have had cat dander allergies. Like many, she probably thought cat hair was the problem. She used her common sense to control cat hair and in so doing controlled the dander-which now we know to be the true allergen.

Cat Dander Allergies - Old-Time Tips For Dander Control

Allergies Medication

0 comments: